Tuesday 20 December 2016

The Fourth Horseman - Pre-Interview Part 3



IBTET: Internal meeting transcript (continued). Recommences 15:45, 23/11/16.

D:   Returning to deliberations.
P:    Are we all chilled, relaxed, and non-violent?
W:  Two out of three. Do you want to push me on the third?
P:    So what’s next on the list?
F:    Good call.
W:  The next one is Religion.
F:    I liked that application. Not so much a naturally-occurring catastrophic force, but a good one nonetheless.
P:    I liked the irony in Religion riding out in an event that only religious people believe in.
D:   Conflict of interest?
F:    You think there could be?
W:  Maybe not. Or not one that matters. At worst, it would want to make the most of the End Times, prove itself right to all the non-believers. I wouldn’t turn anyone away for being keen.
P:    How about sparing some of the believers?
W:  Everyone disbelieves at least one religion. I think we’d be fine.
F:    The portfolio is amazing. I didn’t know that about the Catholic Church and the fork.
P:    I don’t think it ‘forbade’ the use of forks. That seems a bit exaggerated. Although I’m sure it held back the uptake of a new-fangled technology, like a good religion ought to do.
W:  Not the best example it could have chosen for why it’s a dark and destructive aspect of human nature, though.
P:    Do you think? I think it’s pretty clever. Sure, it’s got the crusades, and various rounds of genocide, but not only does the story about the fork show how much power Religion has, but it also cheered me up when I read it, which is no mean feat in a job application.
W:  That’s true… Religion is good at thinking for people, which is one of the best ways to control them. It clearly has experience leading armies and working as a team.
F:    Organised religion generally has a decent number of people at the top, and they must be able to work together some of the time.
W:  And the flaming sword… it’s shown how many religions use fire in their ceremonies, and how many use swords. I think it would be okay there.
D:   Decide on interview.
P:    I think we should interview.
F:    So do I.
W:  And I.
D:   Agreed.
W:  Good. A nice easy one to kick back off with. This isn’t going to last.
P:    Considering the three we have left, that’s a good call.

---

F:    So what are we braving next?
W:  Capitalism.
F:    Ugh.
P:    Everyone loves buying things so they can pretend they’re much richer than they really are. It’s a time honoured tradition.
W:  It’s using Black Friday as it’s big selling point.
P:    Which is vicious.
W:  But relatively modern.
F:    There’s a lot of slaves and sweat-shops in there too. It’s not all new.
D:   Discuss the competencies.
P:    Uh…
F:    Well, it’s got a pretty nasty side to it. Competition and all that.
W:  One-upmanship. I doubt that will work well in a team, or at the head of an army.
F:    Wait. Is it going to expect us to start paying for our equipment?
W:  We are not putting it in charge of managing the weapons store if it does. I won’t pay for anything I can prise out of the cold, dead grip of an enemy, thank you very much.
F:    Not interviewing. Not a chance.
P:    Just on the basis of something it might do, or might not?
F:    Yup.
P:    It’s got the modern side of it, which is something we need.
F:    You know what happens with Capitalism, though, don’t you? It tries to make things on the cheap and sell them for more than they’re worth. We’ll end up with flaming swords that flame for half an hour then burn through the hilt and set fire to your vest.
P:    Or canteen food that looks amazing, but actually is half reclaimed ‘meat’ and half sawdust, and doesn’t actually have any nutritional value.
F:    [Pause] Okay, so there’s some points in its favour, but I still don’t think it has the proper gravitas to be one of us.
W:  That, I agree with. It might be up to date, but I’m not convinced it can survive for that long in its current form. People might change their minds tomorrow and decide Capitalism isn’t the way to go, and then we’d be stuck with an out-dated horseperson.
P:    That’s a good point. Alright, I agree. Let’s not interview.
W:  Good. Death? Do you want to interview Capitalism?
D:   No.
P:    That’s consensus. Again. Does anyone else feel a bit uncomfortable with how much agreement is going on right now?
F:    Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

---

W:  Next on the list is Cancer.
[Long Pause]
D:   Interview.
F:    Really? After all the level-headed 'talk it though' attitude, that's what you come out with?
D:   Old friend.
P:    Creepy.
W:  I’ll admit I didn’t read the application cover to cover.
F:    Did any of us? I felt ill just browsing through it.
P:    It was just a list of names. Wasn’t that impressive.
F:    It was a long list of names. I can’t believe Employment made three copies of it. We must have obliterated a small rainforest.
W:  I like that it isn’t just people it’s killed, but also people it’s taken over the lives of.
F:    I had to put it on the floor because it was making my desk bow.
W:  Focus, Famine.
P:    When you get right down to it, though, it’s just an aspect of me.
W:  It’s more than that.
P:    It’s a sickness. A disease. That’s me.
F:    But it spreads. Like, it only has to affect one person directly, and it gets all their family, their friends, their colleagues…
P:    I can do that.
W:  Don’t pout, it’s not a good look on you. I agree with Famine, it’s developed beyond an illness that can be grouped together with everything else you own. It’s an aspect all by itself.
P:    How about we look at the competencies, since Death doesn’t want to give us any impartial guidance on this one.
D:   Interview.
W:  It’s dark and destructive.
F:    Catastrophic.
W:  Up-to-date, too, since humans are spending so much time and money on developing treatments.
P:    It doesn’t say any of that in the application.
F:    It doesn’t really need to, Pestilence. It’s Cancer. I’d have been impressed if it had just written ‘Cancer’ in the middle of a sheet of paper and handed that in.
P:    Bet it can’t handle a flaming sword.
W:  Neither can you.
P:    I’ve been working on it! Don’t you complain about my flaming sword work when you won’t even make time to help me out. I can’t believe you even brought it up. That’s heartless.
F:    I’m leaning towards interview.
W:  So am I.
P:    No. I won’t agree.
F:    It doesn’t make any difference if you agree or not. Three-to-one, we’re interviewing.

---

W:  Keep it together, guys. This is the last one. Fashion.
F:    I’m not sure why we have an application from Fashion.
P:    Better that than Cancer…
F:    Will you shut up? We’ve moved on. Think about Fashion.
W:  On the plus side, it makes a fairly good case for deaths caused by the desire to be fashionable.
P:    Sure, but as they tip over from fashion to death, they tend to fall into either my realm or Famine’s. Starving to death, giving yourself a completely preventable dietary deficiency, starving small children in a third world country because feeding them would make your clothes too expensive… we’ve already got those things covered.
W:  And this time I’m behind you using that as an excuse.
P:    All it’s got going for it are things like operations gone wrong, jealousy, or those stupid accidents people have whilst wearing something completely inappropriate. It’s a bit unimpressive.
F:    And it tips over in Capitalism as well, which we’ve already said is not to our standard.
W:  Do we have anything else to say in favour of Fashion? Death, you’ve been quiet on this one.
D:   Accomplishments are minimal.
W:  I agree. As far as I’m concerned, Fashion has the makings of something destructive, but it isn’t a properly independent destructive aspect of human nature.
F:    Are we ending on consensus again, then? No interview for Fashion?
P:    No interview.
W:  I don’t like how many of these we’ve all agreed on, but yeah, we’re not interviewing Fashion.
D:   Agreed.
W:  Well. That’s it, no more applications left, and four on the interview pile. Stupidity, Gluttony, Religion, and Cancer. That’s a manageable number.
F:    When are the interviews?
W:  Week of the 5th, according to the application.
P:    Aren’t they trying to pin us down for the 7th?
W:  They are, but it’s the anniversary of Pearl Harbour, and I want to celebrate.
F:    You mean commemorate?
W:  No. I have a bottle of Hawaiian Moonshine and a bottle of Sake, and I’m going to see which makes me fall over first.
P:    Maybe this is the point we should turn the tape recorder off?
W:  If you like. If there’s world peace on the 8th, you’ll know what happened.

[End transcript, 16:34.]
[End Part 3.]

No comments:

Post a Comment